Stand-Up Comedian in Pottstown

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3.20.2011 @ Bethlehem Brew Works

I did well considering that the MC accidentally gave me the light too early on.




As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm not writing my bits the way you're "supposed" to write them anymore. I'm still writing to get laughs, but I'm also just trying to find my "voice". I'm beginning to sense that, when you have that voice it probably is already speaking before you even pick up a pen. But right now I find that the formulaic approach you're supposed write with requires so much attention and that for me it becomes too difficult to notice anything else.  So I'm going off the beaten path and heading for the brush to find myself. The only focus I have when writing now is that it be personal and important to me, even though you need to make the jokes something that the audience can relate to. The result is that my time on stage is a very, very, very graphic window into my personal life. One of the greatest things I'm learning to do now is not care about bombing. I'm also taking a nod from Louis C.K. and trying as best I can to never do the same jokes twice. At least for now. 

This video was shot by my dear friend and contemporary, comedian Glen Tickle. One thing to note is that the MC gave me the one minute remaining light about 2m and 30secs into my five minute set. That really screwed my flow up, and it definitely screwed with my composure and meant that I wasn't able to try out two other jokes.  But I think it all went well, even considering. As usual, the crowd at Brew Works were there to hear jokes, but not respond to them, but I think I held my own against them tonight and I was happy with the reaction I got.

Search This Blog